Wednesday, March 12, 2014

My (Embarrassing) Adventure with Hot Yoga


So as a part of my 25 Before 25 List I wanted to take an exercise class. So when the opportunity came about last week to try hot yoga, I jumped at the opportunity. 

Now there's a few things you should know first:
  1. I am uncoordinated. I trip up the stairs at least once a day.
  2. The class I signed up for was a Wednesday Night Special at my local hot yoga studio. The only details of the class was it was called 'Barre Yoga' (whatever that means) and it was $7.
  3. I took a meditation/yoga class a year ago for my Masters so that obviously makes me an expert.
  4. I know no yoga terms except downward dog.
  5. I wore shorts because I knew I would be sweating in a 90+ degree room.
  6. I bought a $5 rubber yoga mat for cheap.
  7. I laugh when I'm in awkward situations.
A Step by Step (Embarrassing) Recollection of my Experience:
  • A co-worker and I arrive about 10 minutes before the class starts only to find there is a full house and everyone is already in the room in "child's pose". We cannot sit together so we must separate. I, unfortunately, get stuck in the front of the room. FYI: I am the only one in shorts (this plays an important role later).
  • There is a large floor to ceiling mirror about 2 feet in front of me so I can stare at myself while I do yoga. I am now completely aware how pale my legs are, not a good look.
  • About 5-10 minutes in I realize this is not a beginners class. In fact I am actually in a very advanced class. I am sandwiched between, what I can only assume are two yogi masters. I have no idea what I am doing and I am already sweating.
  • My instructor, Renee, begins spitting out yoga terms. Everyone with the exception of me and my co-worker know what these terms are. 
  • I steal a glance from my co-worker who looks as panicked as I am. I immediately get the "church giggles" and am unable to control my laughter. My yogi neighbors are not amused as they are very zen and barely sweating. 
  • About 30 minutes in I notice two cute boys directly behind me in the back row. Keep in mind I do not look cute, nor can I lift my leg as high as anyone else (including them). I write them off knowing they will never want to date me. This makes me laugh even more. 
  • 35 minutes in, I am fully sweating which is fine because I like the heat. However, due to the fact that I am wearing shorts I found that my body is very slippery. I cannot even kneel on my mat without my knees slipping out from under me. 
  • While trying to get a grip with my slippery feet I put a giant hole in my $5 yoga mat. I now realize why it was only $5. The hole gets larger as I get more slippery.
  • 45 minutes in and we are in full force. I look like a beast. I cannot lift my body the way my neighbors do. 
  • 55 minutes in, we are finally done and get to sit and "meditate"... I lie on my (hole-filled) mat like a dying whale and try and catch my breath.
  • 60 minutes in I pat myself on the back for surviving.
Despite my embarrassing experience, I actually really enjoyed it. I just think in the future I need to take a more beginner friendly class to get my body adjusted.

Have you ever tried hot yoga?
xoxo

12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this sounds like something that would happen to any beginner! I'm glad you were able to laugh it off :)

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha this is too funny! I know exactly how you feel! When I first tried swimming (I was 9) I was in a way too advanced group and I could never make it back to the start of the lane on time!

    Hunter
    Prep on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post dear...I can understand what you have gone through...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh! I've always wanted to try hot yoga but considering I can't even grasp normal-temperature-yoga I don't think I'd be ready for that, and your adventure confirms it for me :P

    <3
    carelessly graceful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! What a great story! I went a few times and really liked it (wasn't an advanced class). Defiantly was not good at it.

    BTW I trip up stairs too. Like once a week at least!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is hilarious! hot yoga as a beginner is rough---proud of you for sweating on through it haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha thank you for re-capping that experience!! You sound just like me & K. However, unlike you, we haven't mustered up the courage to attend a class yet. I love the part about the boys too...again, so me!

    P.S. I'm proud of you for sticking with it the whole class!

    xo, B
    www.BKCsquared.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! This was awesome to read. High-five for patting yourself on the back and getting through he class :)
    Jessica
    the way to my Hart

    ReplyDelete
  9. I start laughing to when I start to get embarrassed. This is such a great story, it's definitely something that I would do! I haven't tried hot yoga yet but everyone I know who has loves it!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've never tried hot yoga. i've only had one experience and it was a special session outdoors on the beach put together by some friends. but despite that, i was totally clueless on all the terminology and felt embarrassed part of the time, so i can totally relate. great workout, tho!

    [oomph.]
    $600 SPRING Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a funny story! You're definitely not alone- I'm extremely uncoordinated when it comes to anything athletic! My mom and I used to take zumba classes together and the 60 year old ladies were better with the moves than I was...
    I do love yoga though, as long as it's beginner-level :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dont worry...I trip over my feet on the daily! But this story sounded like something I would do! But I cant do yoga. Its just not my thing! So I cant imagine doing it while hot...So I hope next time is better for you!!

    Love Always,
    Elizabeth
    thejourneycreatingme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to check out my posts! I read every single comment! xo